Today I got to spend the day with Rob in the ICU. His nurse, a great guy named Bobby, was running the whole unit and let me take care of my sweetie today. It was so wonderful just to sit beside him, give him his water, brush his teeth, and talk to him. I will never take those simple things for granted anymore!
I want to thank you all so much for your prayers and all the precious comments. They have encouraged my heart and Robbie is so overwhelmed by everyone’s love. Also, if you have called or sent a text and I’ve not been able to get back to you, forgive me. Even as Rob makes great progress, I would still ask you to pray for some specific things ahead:
- Rob will go into the o.r. sometime tomorrow morning in order to clean out the large wound in his back. Since it will take about an hour and be very painful, they will have to put the breathing tube back in – he is NOT looking forward to that.
- PLEASE PRAY FOR THE WOUND IN HIS BACK! This is our absolute #1 request. They are handling this carefully so as to protect against infection. Please pray that this wound would heal beautifully and that there would be no infection that will set in. Robbie has a unique type of this wound (sorry I can’t remember the name) and it covers a very large area of his back. He will make huge strides in recovery once this heals.
- Pray for his pelvis, hip, vertabrae, and foot as they heal. His hurt toe ended up being a break that went down part of his foot.
- He has had the hiccups a lot. These are annoying anyway, but when your body is in this shape they can be downright painful.
- I would also ask you to pray for the kids & me. It is hard for them to have Daddy away and not be able to see him. Nate has gotten to see him, but not Stephen & Betsy. Pray that the grace God is showing us will continue, realizing that this road will be long.
Tonight (it is 12:38 a.m. as I type) I drove back to town so that I could be with the kids at home overnight. I am heading back to the hospital in the morning. As I was driving, I was listening to music by Keith & Kristyn Getty. You may remember the great song, “In Christ Alone” that was co-written by Keith. One of my favorite songs on their cd is titled, “Jesus, draw me ever nearer.” The words are really our prayer:
|“Jesus Draw Me Ever Nearer”
Music by Keith Getty; Words by Margaret Becker
Copyright © 2002 Thankyou Music
Jesus draw me ever nearer
As I labour through the storm.
You have called me to this passage,
and I’ll follow, though I’m worn.
May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith;
And at the end of my heart’s testing,
With Your likeness let me wake.
Jesus guide me through the tempest;
Keep my spirit staid and sure.
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more.
Let the treasures of the trial
Form within me as I go –
And at the end of this long passage,
Let me leave them at Your throne.